Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Back to work with the mare, Back to work on my riding

Today was my favorite kind of day. Fall weather. Any leaves left in the trees are a brilliant orange, red or yellow. Things are thinning out so you can see deep into the woods. The air is crisp and clean and just cool enough to need a coat but with the sun warm enough to still feel warm when you are working about.
It has been 3 months since my mare needed time off from our first long trail ride, where she came up unsound and presented with apparent weak suspensories. This, of course, is the mare we got once we realized our beloved gelding, Tango, was no longer a candidate for long trail rides with anything over a walk, if at all.
My first rides on her were close to perfect. On the first long trail ride, within 40 minutes she was trippy and became more and more nervous. The handful of rides after that made it clear that something was up, and the vet confirmed her fetlocks were, indeed, dropping in an exaggerated fashion, probably due to weak suspensory ligaments, and to give her time to rest.
We have owned our property for almost 3 years, and I've yet to really use and enjoy the fruits of our labor. First, because of Tango's injury. Second, because it took me up til last fall to find the right horse that did not have "issues" which needed either serious retraining, a rider with less residual injuries and more patience for nonsensical antics under saddle, or was so young and green that they were a blank slate with a big personality. Much to my dismay, the rider I used to be, the one that got on anything and could sit any buck or rear, the rider that didn't mind explosions or antics, actually got a kick out of them, that rider is gone. I am now older, with bones that have sustained enough injuries they cannot take another fall, and frankly, my realization that there is potential for serious injury has given me much pause, and changed what I enjoy under saddle.
Now that she is able, we are working on basics and conditioning. Today we started in the round pen. This is where you let the horse run loose "at liberty" and direct their movement and speed with as little movement on your part as possible. It's actually much more complicated than that, but a wonderful tool and a blast.
I used to round pen Tango frequently. I did it to exercise him without a rider, and to get to know each other. Some people say too much round penning is bad; I suppose too much of anything is bad. But for Tango and I, it was our way of talking. He thoroughly enjoyed his sessions, and would even mimic our "work" from the round pen to the pasture. I can remember playing with him at a boarding stable, watching him hop and spin and come at me, stop short, and run away, stop and look back at me as if to say "C'mon Mom, try and catch me!" The fact that his gaits now over a walk are impaired is often hard to swallow, but his spirit is still big and happy; large and in charge.
Katy is a perfect horse to round pen. She gets every flinch of your face and body and reacts accordingly. Never too much. Sometimes too little. Always respectful and present. She is a good partner. I, however, have more to learn about and from her. How to keep her going without too much energy. Her lessons inevitably become mine.
When we finished round penning, we walked to our riding ring in back. I walked on foot because, with my past confidence issues from the fall that fractured my spine in 5 places, I was more comfortable with the light shining directly in our eyes, making it hard to see where you were going along our woods line. One thing I have learned: ALWAYS listen to YOUR instincts. Others can't see what you or your horse feels, no matter HOW much they think they know.
It was the first time I rode in our ring alone, on my own, without a trainer or another person. What a thrill! We walked over ground poles, went around bending poles and a barrel, and covered the ring in all directions. There were distractions all around us with the woods and whatever lurks in there. Katy was on high alert for the first part of the ride, but eventually started to relax. We did figure eights around the mounting block that she loves to stop at until she stopped stopping. The lesson for me was when her head popped up, or as she kept looking left to right, I made sure my seat was deep and relaxed, that I was breathing and looking where I wanted to go. No attention given to the anxiety that could come from peering in the woods, watching her head pop up. I needed to be the confident, calm leader. It was a success.
We rode over the plank of wood onto the path along the paddocks, talking to "the boys" chewing on grass, and headed up to our large grass paddock across the driveway. Katy would've preferred to go back to the barn, but she did as I asked politely, checking with me that I was sure I didn't really want to go back to the barn.
Her walk was much faster in the field. We walked the entire fence line, stopping occasionally to breath. She does exactly what I ask, even if it is clear she is concerned. Sometimes she would nicker to me. We trotted up the hill, reluctantly. This is something we will work on. A few times she turned her head wanting to go back to the barn, but was agreeable to staying the course.
She is a good girl.
We ended our time together on foot, trotting together from spot to spot as I hooked up the electric fence so that they could all go out and have some good grass time. She trotted right with me, and gave me "the nose" as I took her halter off. She never runs off away from me, rather, she stays with me for a few seconds before I turn away.
She is a very good girl. And I can't wait for our next time together! I'm not sure who is learning more from our "lessons"; her or me!

No comments: