Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What a sh*&ty day....literally....

Well, the chronicling of Oliver, and my other farm inhabitants, continues.

The three dogs have been battling a stomach bug. Each of them have had a round of stomach meds, and every day one of them stops their dose, another comes down with diarrhea. All three have had an entire dose, but, over the weekend, Casey started with the runs again. A call to my vet, a sprint to the pharmacy, and he's back on round two of Flagil.

I cleaned up an accident yesterday in the house, and his long, fuzzy fur had implications of it coming from his butt. Ugh. What can you do. He's sick.

Overnight, we hear him at the door scratching to go out. My husband watches as he scoots his butt around at 4:30 am, sorry for his discomfort, but, wanting to be back in bed. I investigate for any signs of an accident, and we all, eventually, go back to sleep.

In the morning, there is another accident. My house is starting to really smell. I need to buy more incense.

Hubby and I go down to the barn to feed breakfast and put our horses out, with one layer of blankets. This is another adventure we've been on recently. Changing weather has meant closer monitoring of water intake, blanketing or not, medications or special supplements needed, how much grain is being eaten vs. left, how much hay is being eaten vs. wasted, and calculating the total for what they are actually ingesting so I can ensure that the two with health issues (not the old hip fracture) maintain their weight over the winter. With the recent arctic blast, my 41 year old had a hard time keeping warm, and for the first time, I double blanketed my horses. Double blanketed!!! I rarely blanket at all. But, owning this farm has taught me that "nothing is etched in stone," "pay attention", and "things change," so my opinions need to, as well.

On top of this, my third a horse, spiritual soulmate #2, with the old hip fracture, is having a hard time weighting on his back legs. I was giving him bute as a precautionary step to keep him comfortable, but backed off when he seemed to make headway. Winters are harder for him.  He needs to navigate through tough, deep snow, and slippery, icy conditions. This is taking a particular toll on him this year, and breaking my heart. To pieces. His spirit is gigantic; it is a shame his body cannot contain it. 

Well, he today showed me he needs his bute. I could barely pick his back feet up to pick them out. This concerns me for his hoof care. He recently got a new barefoot trim I need to keep up with regularly. Hard to do if he can't lift his feet long enough for them to be trimmed properly. But, we will do what we can, and take day by day.

Hubby and I take about 45 minutes to do the morning barn chores together, and rush back to the house, as we both have places to be. The smell hits me as soon as the door opens. There's another accident on the rug. We make a quick, flustered team effort to clean it up, and try to get rid of the smell, putting the dogs out on more time "just in case" before we both head out the door.

I come back home a little over two hours later, to yet ANOTHER wall of dog crap smell. It is on the rug, very runny, and on my soft pine wood floor. Lovely. I am grabbing towels, cleaner, wiping and blotting and rinsing. The dogs go outside again so I can properly clean in a huff. When they come in, I decide to do a canine butt check.

The two old guys are both the culprits. I grab the blankets off our leather sofa we use to line the seats, and throw them, along with towels, in the laundry. One of the dogs jumps on, then off, the sofa, and there is a menacing spot glaring at me. I grab more cleaner, wipe the couch down entirely, grab new dog blankets and once again, line the couch.

Now, I decide to grab the two "guilty" aka "sick" dogs. Warm water, a soft towel, a small pair of scissors, and I am cleaning and trimming them up, trying to get my home back to something somewhat sanitary and clean. The dogs are not thrilled with my antics, but, it is necessary.

Another call to the vet, who asks what I feel we should do, and we decide to treat all three dogs together one last time. HOPEfFULLY, this will ensure this nasty bug is gone from their systems. The 17 and 14 year old, for sure, have weaker immune systems, and the 7 year old is symptom free, for now. I am diligent about going out with them, watching them, and cleaning the yard up. I am a bit concerned with my system for cleaning messes in the house. I want to be sure to sanitize as best I can to keep this cycle from continuing. I decide between bleach and white vinegar, I am disinfecting everything as best as I can.

It's been a long day of shit management! I have another moment where my thoughts go to the days when these geriatric pups are no longer in our life. There is a momentary flash of relief, not just for me and the convenience of not having so much to maintain, but, for them, as well. For them to no longer experience whatever discomfort they are experiencing. I am assuming this discomfort is temporary, and medication will clear up whatever is ailing them, and they will, once again, go back to enjoying their naps, scratches, running for food, trotting along for weekly walks to the barn and jaunts out in the yard. But, I am more and more aware that, eventually, they will not bounce back, and their discomfort will become more frequent than their comfort. Having 2 dogs and 3 horses all circling this turn in life is daunting, sad, and disheartening.

I still find comfort in their adorable and loving spirits. I give them as much love as I can, and take as much back as I can; as they can give.  But, the steps towards their final days are starting to land heavier and heavier, and my heart is following right along.

No comments: